Race History

The first Wagga to Albury was held in the 1930s. Leaving the Wagga Wagga railway station, the race travelled east to Tarcutta, before travelling south through Holbrook to Albury, finishing outside the Globe Hotel in Dean Street. In 1948 the race changed to a shorter route via the Olympic Way to Albury. The last of the original races was held in 1963.

The race was revived by then the Lavington Sports Club Cycling Club. The first of the modern races was held on the 4th of June 1986, with 96 entries rolling out from the car park of Tolland Hotel. The first edition of the race was titled the Wagga to Albury Cycle Classic. It was renamed the John Woodman Memorial Cycle Classic a year later.

Since then the list of winners and fastest time getters has read like a who’s who of cycling, including Olympic gold medallists Brett Aitken and Dean Woods, BMX World Champion Leigh Egan, Tour de France rider Jay Sweet, Vuelta stage winner Michael Mathews, and Melbourne to Warrnambool winners Rhys Pollock and Tim Decker. Today the John Woodman Memorial Wagga to Albury Cycling Classic remains of one a select few city to city handicap races to remain on the open calendar.